General Guidelines for VISA Application
Delegates are advised to prepare travel documents and apply for visa as soon as possible. We provide here some general guidelines for your easy reference. Please check with the Immigration Department of the Hong Kong Government for details.
In general, no visa or entry permit is required for any purpose if you hold any of the following travel documents:
- Hong Kong Special Administrative Region Passport,
- British National (Overseas) Passport,
- Hong Kong Certificate of Identity,
- Hong Kong Re-entry permit (for entry from the Mainland of China and the Macao Special Administrative Region only),
- Hong Kong Seaman's Identity Book,
- Hong Kong Document of Identity for Visa Purposes provided that the document is valid or the holder's limit of stay in Hong Kong has not expired.
- Travel documents bearing one of the following endorsements:
~ "Holder's eligibility for Hong Kong permanent identity card verified."
~ "The holder of this travel document has the right to land in Hong Kong. (Section 2AAA, Immigration Ordinance, Cap. 115, Laws of Hong Kong)"
- Hong Kong Permanent Identity Card.
However, you will need to apply for visa or entry permit at all time if you hold travel documents issued by the following countries/cities (please double check with HKSAR Immigration Department for particular type(s) of passport):
Afghanistan, Albania (Albanian non-biometric passports), Angola, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Bangladesh, Belarus, Burundi, Cambodia, Cameroon, Congo, Republic of Congo, Costa Rica (Costa Rican Provisional passports and Documento de identidad Y Viaje), Cote d'Ivoire, Cuba, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Georgia, Ghana, Buinea-Bissau, Iran, Iraq, DPR Korea, Kyrgyzstan, Laos, Lebanon, Liberia, Libya, Moldova, Myanmar, Nepal, Nicaragua, Nigeria, Pakistan, Palestine, Panama, Peru (Special Peruvian passports), Senegal (Serbian biometric passports), Sierra Leone, Solomon Islands, Somalia, South Sudan, Sri Lanka, Sudan, Syria, Taiwan, Tajikistan, Togo, Tonga (Tongan National passports and Tongan Protected Persons passports), Turkmenistan, Tuvalu (status I-Tuvalu), Uruguay (issued under Decree 289/90), Uzbekistan, Vatican City (Vatican Service passports), Vietnam.
Please visit the following websites for more information: